Accountant in Milton Keynes. We are not just accountants - we help your business with ideas.

I want to employ someone

I want to employ someone – what do I need to do?

Once your business begins to take off, you may want to start looking at employing staff to help with the workload.

This can seem like quite a daunting prospect; however, it needn’t be.

When looking to take on new staff, you will first need to register for a PAYE scheme.

You can do this online, or ask your accountant or business advisor to arrange this for you.

Once you have registered with HMRC, they should contact you advising you of your new PAYE scheme details.

Once you have these details, you will be able to start filing the necessary RTI – Real Time Information, with HMRC.

You must be aware of relevant employment laws, such as the minimum wage, regulations regarding working hours and whether your prospective employee can work in the UK. If you have any queries regarding these, you should seek professional advice from a solicitor or HR Advisor.

Once you have employed someone and a contract has been agreed and signed, you will need to set them up on your payroll software.

If your new worker has a P45 from their previous employment, this can be used to set up the relevant information, however, if they do not, you will need to get them to complete a starter checklist, which will provide you with the relevant information to set them up accordingly on your payroll software.

Finally, when all of the above has been settled, and you are ready to pay your employee, your software should be able to produce the relevant documents, including but not limited to, employee payslips, which will inform you of how much to pay your employee and your employment real time information notice (RTI report),which will note how much you will need to pay across to HMRC. You will also need to submit this RTI report to HMRC before every payment is made to your employees.